Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Australia

I want to move to Australia. If you've ever read Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day then you know that I must have a had a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day. Thanks to my friend Lisa for the analogy.

Today was bad. It started with a note from a parent accusing me of giving her kid a test on something I never taught. Apparently doing a lesson on fact/opinion that involves 19 kids giving me a fact and an opinion on a given topic and discussing them 19 TIMES isn't enough. So that just put me in a sour mood.

Until I got The Email. Same parent. I realize this isn't the most professional blog I've ever written, so I at least won't blast on the world wide web all of the things that were brought up, but suffice it to say that I'm the sole reason her kid hates school, I'm not actually teaching anything but rather sending it home to all be done for homework, I'm the reason she fights with her kid, they do 2 hours of homework each night, and of course - the classic - she's talked to other parents and they "all" feel the same way and NO other teachers at ANY other school makes their kids work as hard as I do. Right.

After speaking with several other parents who all made me feel better, I just can't shake this on-the-verge-of-tears feeling I've had since reading that email. I love teaching but I don't want to be a teacher right now. But, I'm trying my hardest to be the best teacher I can for this group of kids regardless - and that involves setting high expectations and challenging them. To hear someone tell you that their child hates school because of you hurts. And I've learned a lot about the kind of parent I want to be when Brenna is old enough to be in school and have teachers.

So, if you have kids in school - take a minute to say thank you to their teacher. Even if you don't love him or her, I can almost guarantee they are taking time out from their families to invest in your child. And if you do love him or her, encourage him/her with a note or email.

I want to move to Australia.

3 comments:

  1. Oh sister! I have been right there with you and know how much it hurts to have a parent question all the hard work and love you are putting into their child. Being misunderstood as a teacher is so painful. I will be praying for your day tomorrow and your future interactions with this family -- that you will be able to love this family regardless of how they treat you. Keep pressing on, girl! May God quiet your spirit and give you peace in the midst of stress. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love you! We will survive! I'm just across the hall so feel free to yell/vent/cry at me...oh wait you already do! ;-) That's what friends are for!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ugh. Praying for you. There's nothing like putting your heart and soul into something like teaching when you'd rather be home and then getting railed for it. So sorry.

    ReplyDelete

Whispers in the Hallway